What is this project: Many people are trying to figure out how local government can help fight back against expected issues to be raised by Trump. Since responding to Trump changes on a day-to-day basis, Progressive Dane decided the best way we can help is to help make local government accessible and understandable to people so that when they want to get involved at the local level, they have resources and information available to them.
We decided the best way to do this was to develop web resources on various topics. The local government guide will go live March 21st and will be discussed at our March 22nd General Membership Meeting at the Downtown Public Library at 6:30. At that meeting we will also be hearing from groups organizing to respond to Trump.
HOW DO I GET INVOLVED IN LOCAL GOVERNMENT?
- QUESTIONS TO THINK ABOUT
- WHO ARE MY ELECTED OFFICIALS?
- How can I find out about my elected official voting record?
HOW CAN I BEST INFLUENCE MY ELECTED OFFICIALS?
- Who else is influencing my elected officials (AND GETTING PAID)? i.e. Who is allowed to lobby and how can we find out about their activities?
- WHAT ARE OPEN RECORDS LAWS AND WHY ARE THEY IMPORTANT?
- HOW DO I FIND OUT WHEN MEETINGS ARE?
- WHAT ARE OPEN MEETINGS LAWS AND WHY ARE THEY IMPORTANT?
- HOW DO I TRACK ISSUES I'M INTERESTED IN?
- WHAT ETHICS LAWS DO ELECTED OFFICIALS NEED TO FOLLOW?
- HOW DO I JOIN A COMMITTEE?
- HOW DO I RUN FOR OFFICE?
ISSUES COVERED BY LOCAL GOVERNMENT
Coming Soon . . .
- Topics of Interest - Local Committees Covering these issues.
Affordable Housing, Tenants Issues, Fair Housing and Homelessness
Affordable Wages and Workers Rights
Dane County Jail, Policing and Criminal Justice Issues
Development, Planning, Urban Land Use, Zoning
Environment and Sustainability
Equity and Racial Justice, Immigration Issues
Job Creation, Economic Development and Cooperatives
Open and Clean Government (Lobbying, Ethics, Clean Campaigns) & Redistricting
Transportation/Bicycling/Pedestrian Safety/All other modes of transportation
- GENERAL LOCAL ELECTIONS INFORMATION
- WHO IS QUALIFIED TO RUN FOR OFFICE?
- RUNNING FOR OFFICE
- CAMPAIGN FINANCE
Do you have additional questions you'd like to see in the FAQs? Please submit your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.